A comprehensive guide on how to diagnose, treat, and care for those with eating disorders.
Eating disorders, which include such conditions as anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, and pica, represent a challenge to both patients and health care providers alike. For more than 20 years, health care providers have turned to the expert advice found in Eating Disorders to keep up to date with the latest research in the field and to help them provide the best care available for their patients. In this new, thoroughly revised and expanded edition of their best-selling work, Drs. Philip S. Mehler and Arnold E. Andersen provide a user-friendly and comprehensive guide to treating and managing eating disorders for primary care physicians, mental health professionals, worried family members and friends, and nonmedical professionals (such as teachers and coaches). Mehler and Andersen
• identify common medical complications faced by people who have eating disorders
• answer questions about how to treat both physical and behavioral aspects of eating disorders
• discuss serious complications, including cardiac arrhythmia, electrolyte abnormalities, and gastrointestinal problems
• incorporate all-new information on avoidant restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID), binge eating disorder, and the role of social media in promoting disordered eating
• offer targeted advice for working with specialists
• include four new chapters on eating disorders in children and adolescents; atypical anorexia; eating disorders in transgender individuals; and family therapy
• feature engaging clinical vignettes
• answer a list of common questions practitioners may have in each chapter
The most comprehensive work on the market and the only book that covers eating disorders in transgender individuals, Eating Disorders is a compassionate, evidence-based, and essential guide.
Contributors: Arnold E. Andersen, Ovidio Bermudez, Jeana Cost, Meghan Foley, Dennis Gibson, Neville Golden, Sacha Gorell, Jeffrey Hollis, Mori J. Krantz, Daniel Le Grange, Russell Marx, Jennifer McBride, Philip S. Mehler, Leah Puckett, Katherine Sachs, Michael Spaulding-Barclay, Anna Tanner, Nathalia Trees, Jessica Tse, Kenneth Weiner, Patricia Westmoreland
Sign up for more information on JHUP Books