A comprehensive collection of best practices in public health education.
As more students are drawn to public health as a field of study and a profession, bringing varied backgrounds and experiences with them, the number of public health programs and schools of public health has grown substantially. How can teachers meet the changing needs of incoming students—and ensure that graduates have the knowledge, skills, and attributes to pursue further education and forge successful careers in public health?
Aimed at experienced and new teachers alike, this timely volume is a cutting-edge primer on teaching public health around the globe. Bringing together leaders in the field with expertise across the educational continuum, the book combines the conceptual underpinnings needed to advance curricula with the resources to train and support faculty in innovative teaching methods. This thorough book
• discusses challenges faced by public health teachers
• examines the principles and practices for teaching at each level of study
• describes technological and pedagogical innovations in public health education
• stresses the importance of life-long learning and interprofessional education
• offers concrete tips for engaging students through active and collaborative learning
• focuses on teaching cultural competency and reaching diverse student populations
• looks to the future, building on emerging trends and anticipating where the field is headed
A field-defining volume, Teaching Public Health offers a concrete plan to ensure that both individual courses and overall curricula are responsive to the needs of a rapidly changing student body and the world beyond the school.
Contributors: Linda Alexander, Susan Altfeld, Jessica S. Ancker, Lauren D. Arnold, Melissa D. Begg, Angela Breckenridge, Kathryn M. Cardarelli, Angela Carman, Trey Conatser, Lorraine M. Conroy, Yvette C. Cozier, Eugene Declercq, Marie Diener-West, Jen Dolan, Greg Evans, Julian Fisher, Elizabeth French, Sandro Galea, Daniel Gerber, Sophie Godley, Jacey A. Greece, Perry N. Halkitis, Jennifer Hebert-Beirne, Jyotsna Jagai, Katherine Johnson, Nancy Kane, David G. Kleinbaum, Wayne LaMorte, Meg Landfried, Delia L. Lang, Joel Lee, Laura Linnan, Laura Magaña Valladares, Uchechi Mitchell, Beth Moracco, Robert Pack, Donna Petersen, Silvia E. Rabionet, Elizabeth Reisinger Walker, Richard Riegelman, Kathleen Ryan, Nelly Salgado de Snyder, Rachel Schwartz, Lisa M. Sullivan, Tanya Uden-Holman, Luann White, James Wolff, Randy Wykoff
Sign up for more information on JHUP Books