List of Illustrations
List of Tables
1. World War II: Opportunity Lost?
2. Postwar "Adjustment": Displacement and Demotion
3. "Scientific Womanpower": Ambivalent Encouragement
4. Graduate School: Record Numbers Despite It All
5. Growth, Segregation, and Statistically "Other"
6. Faculty at Major Universities: The Antinepotism Rules and the Grateful Few
7. Resentful Research Associates: Marriage and Marginality
8. Protecting Home Economics, the Women's Field
9. Surviving in "Siberia"
10. Majors, Money, and Men at the Women's Colleges
11. Nonporfit Institutions and Self-Employment: A Second Chance
12. Corporate Employment: Research and Customer Service
13. Governmental "Showcase"?
14. Invisbility and Underrecognition: Less and Less of More and More
15. Women's Clubs and Prizes: Partial Palliatives
16. The Path to Liberation: Consciousness Raised, Legislation Enacted
List of Abbreviations
Sign up for more information on JHUP Books