Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a common condition in children and adolescents. Parents and other family members typically have many questions about the diagnosis, symptoms, and treatments associated with various forms of IBD including Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and indeterminate colitis. In this book, medical experts explain all you need to know about IBD and answer important questions, including:
• What are inflammatory bowel diseases, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis?
• Is there a cure for IBD?
• How is IBD going to affect my child's daily life?
• Will my child's diet change?
• Can my child still play sports?
• Will my child need surgery?
• What are the side effects of commonly prescribed medications?
• What challenges may my child face at school and socially, especially as he or she grows older?
This new edition has been thoroughly revised with updated scientific evidence. The chapters on medical therapies have been expanded to include robust discussions of emerging biologic medications and forms of nutrition used for treating IBD. A new chapter on complementary and alternative therapies expands on this topic.
Sign up for more information on JHUP Books